“to formally end the marriage with your spouse”

Kate Escobar

Our comprehensive approach to your family matter puts the step of Divorce into the bigger context.

Divorce is the formal legal ending of your marriage. It is separate from a property settlement or arrangements for the children.

Even if you still live in the same house, if you and your spouse have been ‘separated’ at least 12 months ago we can help you divorce usually in less than 2 months. It is easier to marry than divorce!

But beware, once divorced, you must start Court proceedings or sign an agreement to settle your property rights within the next 12 months.

Common Divorce Questions

Do I have to be Australian to divorce?
No, You can apply for a divorce in Australia if either you or your spouse regard Australia as your home and intend to live in Australia indefinitely or have lived here for 12 months.
Do one of us have to move out to divorce?
No, if you can show you lived separately ‘under one roof’ for at least 12 months and it is unlikely you will get back together.
What if I want to divorce but not split property yet?
You have 12 months from divorce to finalise your property separation or start legal proceedings. If you are in a de facto relationship that period is 2 years from relationship end.
When does the relationship end?
There are occasions when it is hard to decide when the relationship ended, this is important because so many consequences flow from that event. We can clarify when the court is most likely to decide it ended.