Relocation & Travel

Other than in emergencies, moving children away from their former home or away from their other parent probably needs the approval of the other parent or the Court. This includes moving inter-State or overseas.

Kate Escobar

Unless agreed to, the process by which this is achieved requires careful consideration to avoid a Hague Convention claim to bring the child/ren back.

Even if you have a good reason to move (relocate) the children to a new home, such as to start a new life, get a job or benefit from extended family support, you still need to see what the other patents thinks of that move. How does it work for them and can they still have a meaningful relationships with the children?

Relocation is a big and deliberate change of life circumstance for the children. Relocation involves one party moving away from the family home taking the children with them. It has a significant impact on the family structure, basically making it harder for one parent to see their children regularly. So, any move needs to factor in the other parents views and whether or not they can stop or undo the move.

Common Relocation and Travel Questions

Will the non-resident parent see the children as often as before?
No. These are often very difficult matters, especially when it means that to allow one parent to take the children to another town, city or country means that the children may not see the other parent as often as they used to.
Can the parent with the children be required to come back?
In certain circumstances, Police and International countries are involved in helping bring back children. In less extreme and more modest cases one party wishes to move on and find a better life for themselves and the children, and mostly a relocation can occur on agreed terms.